Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Enamelware Love

I love the look of enamelware.  I have a few pieces of American enamelware in storage back in the US.  Vintage French enamelware was on my list of things to look for while shopping in France.  Enamelware refers to the high temperature process of adhering paint to metal.  It made things beautiful and kept the things in them from taking on a metallic taste.  It was started in Western Europe and moved across the Atlantic to the United States.

This was first piece of enamelware, I bought it at the Foire de Chatou.

I have been collecting pieces ever since then and I have found some really fun pieces.  I have found these pieces at different places; Emmaus, Porte de Vanves, and other brocantes.

I found these three pieces at Emmaus.  I wasn't sure what their purpose had been, but I liked their colors, they were in good condition and they were a good deal so I brought them home.  I was pretty sure they had a medical background based on the stickers that are still on two of them.  When I went looking for their original purpose I found a lot of them repurposed to hold flowers and some with kitchen utensils.  I finally found out their original purpose and I will say I probably wouldn't use them to hold kitchen utensils.  These beautiful tins were originally used in administering enemas.  Collecting things from the past can lead to some interesting discoveries.

This blue pitcher is in gorgeous condition, it is also from Emmaus.  


This is the marking on the bottom of this lidded pitcher.  Most enamelware does not have a mark so this is fun.


Here are a few more of the pieces in my collection.  None of them are in perfect condition, but I love to think that the rust and bumps just mean that they were well used and well loved.  



Shared at 








5 comments:

  1. What a great collection! I love the orange ones best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    This is my first visit with you, and I have to say your children are all simply adorable,
    lovely photo..........
    Love all your enamelware, so pretty, my fav is that sky blue lidded pitcher.
    So neat you have lived in Oslo and Paris. We lived in Germany for about 10 mos.
    when we were newly weds, and we visited Paris.........such an amazing place....
    and it was so surreal to be standing and looking at the Eifel Tower and the Arc de
    Truimphe when you have only seen it in history books.......I am sure you know that feeling.........lol
    and by the way, we were newly weds almost 44 years ago. lol
    But it was a very wonderful experience living and visiting in Europe.
    Sounds like you are really enjoying it too.
    Blessings,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nellie, Living overseas really is an amazing experience. We are trying to enjoy as much of it as we can. I must say I am loving the shopping over here as well as the history and culture.
      I am glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  3. I am passionate about enamelware! I have a nice collection but most of it is for sale in my Etsy shop! There are some pieces I will never part with though! Yours are all totally different than mine and very unique. Love the enema pitchers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the variety of enamelware. I just ordered got a book of French enamelware and I am excited to head out to a couple of large brocantes this weekend. I hoping to find some new treasures.

      Delete