Thursday, April 1, 2010

Something New

Warning: This post is about nursing. Don't worry, the picture is of Ben with a bottle.

I was sick a couple of weeks ago, mostly allergies that led to a bad sinus infection and then a little stomach bug, but that little sickness had big ramifications for Ben and I. I nursed Addison until she was a year old. She took a few bottles but for the most part it was all me. Ben and I were on the right track to do the same thing, until I got sick. When I went to the doctor they gave me an anithistamine that I could take while nursing, but it did cause some problems and then I had no appetite and got dehydrated, not good when you are nursing. Bennett aslo hit a growth spurt at this time, and cut his top two teeth. Do you know what a baby does when they are hungry and not getting enough to eat? They bite down. While I was sick I knew Ben wasn't getting enough so I gave him a bottle to see if he would take it. Up until that point he had taken exactly 1 bottle, ever. He was hungry enough this time that he took it like a champ. I was so happy, but so torn. I really considered trying to get my milk supply to come back, but I was afraid that it would just be stressful for both of us. Our little man has taken to formula so well, and boy does he go through it. He was definitely going through a growth spurt last week so I am glad I made my decision, even though it was very difficult for me. It became difficult for Jon when I had to start buying formula. We really didn't know just how expensive it was! I know this won't seem like a big deal to everyone, but it was a very hard decision for me. I am thankful for everyone that has supported me through making it.
Here is a picture of Ben holding his bottle for the first time. I don't usually do this, but I was in a hurry to go pick up Addie so we made it work.

5 comments:

  1. I totally support nursing and formula-I did both. ANd yes formula can be expensive! You are doing great! This is such a "touchy" subject and everyone has "their" opinion. Only you know what's best for your children =) You go on hot mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had to quit nursing before you wanted too, that's always disappointing. But be proud that you made it 10 months--way longer than most! And think of all the money you saved not buying formula all that time! That's a huge accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Amy-I can only imagine how sad/torn you were. i've got to say....I'm kinda jealous....#1-you made it 10 months (that's a goal for me at this point...actually first, 6 months is my goal. haha) and #2-you stopped without REALLY choosing to. I keep hoping that Will can show me/tell me/prove it to me when the time is right to make the switch so I don't have to make the decision. Although you made the decision, it seems like it was kind of made for you.I hope you're feeling good having your body to yourself again and knowing that Ben is getting all the nutrients he needs from all the awesome food you're giving him! High-five to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't sweat it... I know it's one of the most difficult decisions as a mom with the desire to nurse. I won't go into it but Sierra was fully on the bottle by 6 months and it was one of the hardest things for me to do too. In the long run it was the best thing for us at the time too... We were both healthier in the long run and she's a-okay now! But yes... it is far more expensive... at least it's not too long until he can switch to milk. Hope you're back to good health and high spirits soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy-- I completely understand your feelings!! The good thing is, from the sounds of things, the decision to stop nursing was way harder on you than it was for Ben... I had the same goal (one year) for Andy and he had other plans around 9 months :) I feel your pain about the cost of formula--OUCH! :) I hope a new sense of "normal" sinks in soon :) You're an excellent mama!!

    ReplyDelete