Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Stroller That Came Back

Today I went back to one of my favorite places, Baerum's Verk.  I am having a picture framed and I thought it might be ready for pick up.  The picture wasn't ready, but I always enjoy wandering around this small shopping area.  It was a beautiful day, the sun was out and the temperatures were above freezing and I was on my own.  I decided to stop into a florist shop, it is not a place I go into when I have the boys with me. As I walked into the shop I saw a stroller in the lobby.  I had to look twice because the stroller looked familiar.  To understand why this is important you have to go all the way back to October, shortly after we moved here.  On the day I wrote about here we lost our almost new umbrella stroller.  I had researched lightweight umbrella strollers that would be good for living in a big city.  We had only been in Norway for about 2 weeks when we came to Baerum's Verk for the day and we ended up leaving the stroller.  I went back 2 days later, when we realized the stroller was missing, but the stroller was not at the restaurant where I thought we must have left it.  I was so frustrated that the stroller was gone.  All of my friends had said that the Norwegians were extremely honest and that the stroller would still be there.  
Fast forward to today when I saw our stroller sitting outside the florist, not the restaurant where I thought it had been.  I could not believe it was our stroller.  I went into the cafe that was right there and asked behind the counter.  The woman said the stroller had been there for a long time and they had been looking for the owner.  I told her it was my stroller and I tried to explain why we had left our stroller and just come to claim it now 3 1/2 months later.  I thanked her and happily walked out of the cafe with our stroller.  

The stroller still had our hats and mittens sitting in it that we had left on that same day.  I am continually amazed at the level of integrity here in Norway.  People are not overly friendly to strangers, but you don't have the same level of fear here about losing something or leaving something.  I am just so thrilled to have our stroller back!





1 comment: